guiltlessreader

guiltlessreader

The Girl Who Played with Fire - Stieg Larsson ha! done! a little more insight into lisbeth salander's life.must admit, got hooked! now i need to read the last one! Originally reviewed on my blog Guiltless Reading

The girl with the dragon tattoo also played with fire ... and I think it's grand!

The book in one sentence: The back story of the girl with the dragon tattoo.

My two cents: This is going to be one of my rare short raves ... I knew that this would be a quick read, I just wasn't expecting to finish it in less than 24 hours! And the reason was ... I ... just ... couldn't put this down! I was up until the wee hours of the morning and I practically slept a few hours before cracking this open again. It was that good! In fact I found it even more satisfying that the first book, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Why?
1. The story is tighter, none of those red herrings!
2. The story is extremely quick paced! I wanted to find out whodunit! I wanted Lisbeth to be innocent!
3. Salander is growing on me ... I like her even more in this one. There is better insight into the psychology of this heroine. Psychoanalyze away!
4. There is continuity from the first book. I guess this sounds only logical, but other books can get so convoluted and confusing. I had no trouble remembering what happened in the past because Larsson rather deftly was able to remind me of past events and people in a not so obvious way.
5. While violence against women remains a continuing theme, I found this one to be less gruesome yet just as hard hitting.
6. With yet another cliffhanger ending, I can't wait to read the last book (The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest)!

And with that ...

Verdict:
A page-turner of a psychological thriller. A definite must-read if you enjoyed The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo -- how can you not want to find out what happens to our heroine?

First line: She lay on her back fastened by leather straps to a narrow bed with a steel frame.

Line: He put it on the floor, took out his mobile, and dialled the number for emergency services.