guiltlessreader

guiltlessreader

A Lion in America 1 - Robert Mwangi Originally posted on my blog Guiltless Reading

A love story - about Kenyan culture.

My two cents: I am always keen to read immigrant stories probably because I am an immigrant myself. I find it fascinating to hear how people enter into new cultures and come to terms with the new while combining it with the "old," resulting in a combining of both worlds. Everyone makes sense of it in their own way.

A Whisper In The Jungle speaks to this quite strongly but not in the way I expected it to. Robert Mwangi, in this semi-autobiographical book, shares the experience of being Kenyan and thrust into an American culture as a soccer player. I was prepared for a story along this premise so I was a little disconcerted when the soccer playing in America was just a diversion.

The stronger plot lies in the small Kenyan village where James was born, grew up and lives. Although he has gotten the taste of playing soccer abroad and is just about to start living his dream of leaving his village and make his mark in the world, James is compelled to return his childhood sweetheart, Janny, mysteriously disappears. This brings back horrible memories of the disappearance of his older brother.

Determined to find Janny, James sets out to into the dangerous jungle and unwittingly stumbles upon a secret that is difficult for him to fathom -- a secret in the jungle that tests James's loyalties and reveals truths about himself, his family and his culture.

***

I liked:

The originality of the story. I don't want to put in any spoilers in this review but the turning point lies in James's discovery in the forest.

Mwangi's obvious love for African culture is the backbone of the storyline. The stories about James's village, his time with his family, alongside the descriptions of age-old traditions, important figures in African history, and of his homeland are a peek into the Kenyan culture that he so loves. This book is indeed a wonderful ambassador for the Kenyan culture!

For those who have always wanted to see what it's like to be a foreigner in America, Mwangi's observations may be quite an eye-opener! James ponders upon American culture which he loves with an equal fervor as his Kenyan roots.

Verdict: A young man's love story turned love story for Kenya. Read this if you'd like to learn something new about another country and culture.

Uh-ohs:

The storyline can be tightened up a bit. The beginning of the story sets up expectations for the plot to carry through with the soccer storyline so it is a bit confusing to be thrust back into the jungle. However, I thoroughly enjoyed how the story played out.

As with many books written by authors whose first language isn't English, I found this having some small niggling things that distract, and uneasiness in the flow of the language. This would have benefitted from having a good English editor so that thoughts could be tightened up. Some of things I picked up on were strange use of idioms, incorrect spellings (loose for lose, p. 31), some awkward wording (e.g. "In the next few moments of his life, he went through extreme forms of emotions ..." p. 63), and a general formality in the the use of English (especially towards the end).

When I was first putting together Robert's guest post and giveaway, I actually wasn't sure what the title was. Is it Whisper in the Jungle or A Lion in America? Go check Amazon and Goodreads and the primary title is A Lion in America 1. Confusing much. Yes, I understand this is a series but without a clear title, it risks people not finding the book in th first place.

When I first was approached with this book, the cover was very different (see right). The cover honestly didn't appeal to me but then it does capture a sense of the immigrant story I was expecting. When I heard back from the author, the cover had changed to something similar to that in the cover art featured below. I think that cover art is an extremely important first impression, and while the current cover better captures the story, I'm not a huge fan of the Photoshop job.

I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.