guiltlessreader

guiltlessreader

Confessions of a Cake Addict - Emma Kaufmann Originally posted on my blog: guiltless reading

Cake, anyone?

The book in one sentence: Kate Pickles, cake addict, has not given up on love.

My two cents: I've been lapping up some serious fare lately, so a change of pace was in order. Confessions of a Cake Addict hit the spot and then some. This such a riot of a read! Grab this book and cozy up on the couch in the sunroom and just read! I found myself just laughing like silly. It's funny, improbable, but it's not exactly the fluff I was expecting. There is something very smartalecky about this that I really enjoyed.

Most women will be able to relate to Kate Pickles -- a mishmash of Bridget Jones (hey, knickers play a role in this story too!) gone Becky Bloomwood of Confessions of a Shopaholic fame, cakewise that is. Kate's obsession for cake is a main feature, so be prepared for very detailed mouthwatering descriptions of cake! Kate is a copywriter for an ad agency so that's also why she is so good with her words.
Confessions of a Cake Addict
by Emma Kauffman

Recently single, Kate is still reeling from a relationship gone sour -- and she is still beating herself up about it. She hasn't given up on love though and her radar is up for her next man, though it sometimes malfunctions (gay-dar gone bad). You get some serious relationship wake-up calls through Kate.

"Poor little you,"says Sten, and leans over to give me a kiss. His aftershave smells divine. His stubble feels divine, brushing against my cheek. His hard thigh pressed upon my leg feels ... whoa, I pull myself short. You're doing well, I tell myself. You have a real knack for falling for the unobtainable. There's Sten, who's gay, there's Alex [...]. Now then, let's see, who else. The Weasel (mad), the Marquis (bad) and Ricky (sad). And what about Ben, a little voice says, aren't you still hung up on him, although you say it's all dead and buried?
- p. 186, Confessions of a Cake Addict

Kate, like Bridget Jones, also obsesses about her weight. Definitely in denial about her weight issues. She's been mistaken as pregnant. She needs just one more slice of cake. Typical. (I need an extra slice too, just don't tell! :))

The story is mainly told through correspondence between Kate and her sister Laurie (Kate's petname for her sister is "Egg" and Kate's nickname is "Gherkin") which accounts for the severely chatty tone of the book. It feels like a crazy girlfriend of mine is sitting on the couch with me just babbling about her crazy summer, and I am screaming, laughing and oohing and ahhing along with her. Chatty, engaging, snarky and in your face - that's how this is written.

Plus, the plot is insane and ludicrous - so crazy that it seems even possible (if you know what I mean). There's travel to Vienna (love the descriptions of the architecture and the countryside). There's a Bollywood film (a hint of the exotic, the erotic, and think Bollywood hyperreal). There's also the weird and wild antics of the ad industry. There are mysterious men and a Count no less! Adventure. Travel. Romance. And cake anyone?

But I have to say: it works somehow. It doesn't feel cookie cutter plot-wise. The unpredictability just kept me reading.

As I don't want to put in an spoilers, let's just say that some very nice little twists and turns happen and Kate, who I so relate to, receives some very nice surprises in the end.

Uh-ohs: My gripes about this book are superficial but rather marred an otherwise great read.

One, where is Kate on the cover? That can't possibly be Kate!? Kate loves cake. Kate has curves. That is NOT Kate. I'd prefer a cover that doesn't have a weird disconnect with the contents.

Someone's copyeditor flubbed this one. I wish to heck that there weren't so many typos and weird line breaks. They were annoying and distracting.

Verdict: A hilarious, improbable and snarky chick lit read that smart-alecky women will love and laugh about. Go on, take a bite. It's good for you!

I received this book from the author in exchange for an honest review.
------
What a riot! Funny, funny fluff!